The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

"I have a theory. Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them."

  


Lucy and Joshua work together in publishing as assistants to the two CEO s. They spend 50 hours a week alone together in their office and they absolutely hate each other (or DO they? Seriously, I was confused at the beginning because the sexual tension was as potent as tear gas). Why do they "hate" each other you ask? Well I understand Lucy's detest, as Joshua is always being a condescending jerk towards her, but what is his problem? My diagnosis is that he suffers from Mr Darcy Syndrome. 

Big promotion opportunity arrives and their competitive spirit and ambition surges forward, but is overshadowed when one fateful day Mr Darcy, em sorry, I meant Mr Joshua kisses Lucy in the elevator and from then on it's one big and absolutely hilarious build up leading to a very anticipated and steamy sex scene and of course to their emotional fulfillment. 

This is your classic enemies-to-lovers story, the characters are a sexy, funny, adorable and dorky Lucy, and a hot-as-hell, broody and intelligent, don't-put-up-with-idiots Joshua (who secretly likes the girl and that's why he's pushing her around in the playground).

I will admit that I am ambivalent about this book because on the one hand I couldn't get enough of their chemistry and banter, the many laugh-out-loud moments, and I was utterly beguiled by this perfect Mr Josh, who has the perfect body, is the perfect naughty gentleman, can cook and pick you up in his arms effortlessly and is so hopelessly in love but hides it behind charm and a touch of arrogance.

On the other hand however, there's not much more to the plot which itself was quite predictable, and when I finished this book I felt such a profound depression and loneliness that only comes with the realization that such love stories are faker than fiction and really mess with your own standards and expectations. Some people can handle it; my flimsy heart cannot. (*sigh with right hand on forehead*)



My ratings:
Plot: 2/5
Conclusion: 3/5
Characters: 4/5
Movie Potential: 5/5


  

'Who should play them in the movie' :



Henry Cavill (@henrycavill) on Instagram: “Check out the latest ...
Henry Cavill as Joshua Templeman 




Michelle Monaghan to Romance Anna Torv on Ryan Murphy's HBO Pilot ...
Michelle Monaghan as Lucy Hutton








Do you agree with my casting? 
Please leave your own suggestions below in the comments.









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Circe by Madeline Miller

Crescent City by Sarah J Maas

Descendant of the Crane by Joan He